Silky Soft Boiled Egg

Soft Boiled Egg, done to "just right".

I have been accused of being too general when it come to sharing recipes. Too many times I've said, "start with onions, carrots, and celery..."
Only to have the person say, "what do I do with the onion?"
On the other hand, I've been asked to "tell me how to make that recipe in detail." Part way through the person's eye's glaze over and they struggle to feign interest.

I've learned to ask the requester's level of experience before orally sharing a recipe. It's better for all of us.

I have a friend who geeks out like me over fundamental food science, like how to precisely hard boil or soft boil an egg. Lucky are we to live in a time where answers are just a Google click away. But I'm here not just share the hows but to advocate for the thrill of getting it right. It's so much fun! And anyone can do it.

If you want the real thermodynamic science behind 'why' I'm not your girl. See that Google reference above. I can follow the science when I read it (and I do love to read it) but to explain I get tongue tied.

It's easy to get that when a hard boiled egg is undercooked the yolk isn't set. But when it's overcooked the outer layer of yolk is dark funky green-gray and unappetizing. That doesn't need to happen! When making Deviled Eggs it matters.

How To Hard Boil Eggs:

You need raw eggs, water, pot with a good fitting lid and a timer. 

Place the eggs in a single layer in a pot. Fill with water enough to cover. Give the eggs a gentle swirl to get the yolks centered, best you can. Bring pot to a full boil. Immediately cover and off the heat. Set a timer for 10 minutes. No peeking. Poor off water and allow cool water to run over them until you can handle them easily. 

How to Soft Boil Eggs: 

Soft boiling needs all the same items, eggs, water, pot with a lid, and timer.

Place the eggs in a single layer in a pot. Fill with an inch of water, no need to cover. Bring the pot to a full boil. Immediately cover and off the the heat. Set timer for 6 minutes. Again, no peeking! Poor off the hot water and run under cool water for 30 seconds. Place in an egg cup or shot glass, feel all kinds of Continental and cut the top off! Salt and scoop out the delicious eggy goodness.

Lovely Egg. 

 Now I should talk about poaching eggs! How do you enjoy yours? 


Comments