Salted Butterscotch Cookies

It's an internet chain reaction.

I have a blogger fan-girl crush on Lorraine at Not Quite Nigella.

You don't need to scratch too deeply on this blog to see where I make what she makes. Mostly because our baking brains are aligned and that's no small thing. Plus she's a prolific, professional, perfect food blogger; a little personal stuff, a well tested recipe with accurate directions, beautiful photos and an engaging question to the reader at the end. She also says "howdy do" on my modest little blog every now and then.

Today at work it was suggested that I sweet talk my boss for a small favor (adjusting my schedule). It was in jest of course and I said I would ask politely but that's about the best I was going to do. But the boss has a sweet tooth and I have a penchant for baking and it will make for good laughs all around if I bring cookies while mentioning the schedule.

Lorraine's blog came across my email and the recipe has everything I want in a cookie. That means I have most of the ingredients and the portioning can happen quickly. No rolling and using cookie cutters for a Thursday evening project. 5 minutes later I was in the kitchen mixing up a batch. I've changed a few things for ease in an American kitchen. e.g. I used a 4 ounces of butter not 3.5 because it's just easier.

She calls these Swedish Butterscotch Cookies and they are buttery and crispy like a Speculoos but a million times easier to make. They are baked in a loaf/log and cut into strips once out of the oven, like biscotti, but with out the second round in the oven.

Salted Butterscotch Cookies

1 stick butter, 4 ounces, softened butter
1 tablespoon honey
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup, + 1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
kosher salt, but I wanted sea salt

Preheat oven 350 F oven.

In a food processor because I didn't want to bother with getting the mixer out, blend butter, honey and sugar until fluffy. Scrape sides. Add vanilla and blend. Add flour and baking powder, pulse the processor.

Divide in two, roll into a log, then press. I rolled my lightly with a bottle, just to get rid of finger ridges. Sprinkle with salt.

Bake 18-20 minutes. Cut into strips when they are just out of the oven. Cool then bribe your colleagues.

Comments