Samoa (like the Girl Scout Cookie, not the nation) Cake


Angie had a birthday. 
Angie likes coconut. 
Angie likes caramel. 
Angie likes chocolate. 
Angie has good taste. 

I searched for a way to put all those flavors together and I came across the thing that is the Samoa Bundt Cake. I tweaked one and this is what I came up with.  It was suggested to only use Nordic Bundt pans with non stick coating and I have to say that was good advice. However, the only Nordic pan I have doesn't have a fluted edge like a Samoa Cookie. I have a vintage Ekco pan that is flower-like around the edges, so I went with that. I greased the pan as thoroughly as I could but my coconut base (or top when you flip it over) still stuck. 

The next time I make this cake I'll put the coconut on the top (which will be the bottom of the cake) when it's served. 

I want to get the recipe written before it gets too far away from me. How many times has that happened? The good news is that I can't remember! 

Samoa Bundt Cake

Coconut mixture:
2.25 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
0.50 cup brown sugar, packed
2 ounce butter, melted 

Cake: 
2.5 cup flour
0.50 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1.5 cup brown sugar, packed
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned coconut milk (not sweetened)

Ganache
6 ounces dark chocolate chips
5.5 ounces canned coconut milk (the rest of the can that was used for the cake) 
1 tablespoon butter

Preheat oven 350F. 

Butter and flour then spray with cooking spray a Bundt pan. Put in the freezer while you prepare the cake. 

Combine 2 cups of coconut (reserve .25 cup for decoration) with brown sugar and butter. Refrigerate. I pressed it into the bottom of the pan. I don't suggest you do that unless you have a newer Bundt pan. 

In a bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside. 

In a large bowl cream the butter and both sugars. Cream and scrape the sides of the bowl until all the sugar is dissolved. Don't rush. Add the eggs, one at a time, scrape the bowl between additions. Add the vanilla. For the flour mixture and coconut add 1/3 of the flour, mix and scrape. Add 1/2 of the 1 cup of coconut milk. Add the second third of flour. Mix and scrape again. (Lots of scraping) add the second half of the coconut milk.  Mix and scrape. Add the last third of the flour mixture. Beat the cake for 1 full minute once everything is in the bowl. 

Pour the batter in the pan. Top with coconut-brown sugar mixture. Bake for 65-75 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan 15 minutes. Turn out of the pan and cool completely, not even kidding, before you add the ganache. 

To make the ganache, put the chocolate in a mixing bowl. Heat the coconut milk and butter slowly on the stove. When the butter is melted and mixture is steaming but not boiling, pour over the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to sit unstirred a few minutes. Whisk the mixture. If it is too loose it will thicken as it cools. Drizzle the cake with ganache liberally. Top with remaining toasted coconut. 

Share with friends. 

What's the best cookie ever made? Are you a Thin Mint fan. I wonder what that Bundt cake could look like. 





Comments

  1. What a perfect cake for your friend! :D I've never had a Samoa cookie but I love those flavours so maybe I'll give the cake or cookie a go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts here: